Benidorm is a popular tourist destination in Spain and is becoming increasingly accessible for people with disabilities. Located 106 km from Valencia and 38 km from Alicante, it is a sun and beach destination where visitors come to relax, enjoy the beaches, good food, and climate, as well as the various activities offered in the region.
Benidorm is the fourth most visited city in Spain, surpassed only by Madrid, Barcelona, and San Bartolomé de Tirajana in the Canary Islands. In 2019, there were approximately two million tourists, 40% of whom were foreign tourists.
Through www.motion4rent.com, you can find information on accessible beaches, adapted excursions, theme parks, accessible restaurants, and other offerings for visitors with reduced mobility. Enjoy your stay in Benidorm!
Benidorm has several tourist offices of which we want to highlight the most important:
Tourist Info Center
Tourist Info Rincon
Tourist Info Europe
The closest airport to Benidorm is Elche - Alicante, located about 60 km away. The most convenient way to get from the airport to Benidorm is by taxi, which takes about 45 minutes.
The Elche Radiotaxi company has vehicles adapted for people with reduced mobility.
- Telephone: (+34) 965 42 77 77
- Email: email@example.com
According to Regulation (CE) 1107/2006 of the European Parliament, Elche - Alicante Airport offers a free assistance service for passengers with reduced mobility. This service is available to all passengers with reduced mobility or disabilities and can be requested at least 48 hours in advance to ensure that your entire trip is prepared from the moment you arrive at the airport.
This service is free and can be requested through https://www.aena.es/pmr/inicio?lang=es or by calling (+34) 91 321 10 00.
Bus and tourist train:
Benidorm offers several urban tourist routes by train and tourist bus, both of which are accessible for wheelchair users. The tourist bus can be accessed by a ramp, and the train has a platform lift. The four tourist bus lines connect Benidorm with nearby points of interest such as Altea, El Albir, Guadalest, Las Font del Algar, and La Cala de Finestrat. These routes are narrated with audio-guides in different languages, and some are carried out by double-decker buses with open roofs.
The tourist train also offers two different routes, one through the Poniente area and the other through the Levante area, both of which are narrated with audio-guides.
Benidorm has a public taxi service with 232 licenses, 14 of which are for adapted vehicles. These licenses allow for the provision of services for longer hours and have an on-call system that ensures that there are always 2 adapted taxis available daily.
Benidorm has 3 accessible spots
Benidorm has several accessible beaches that have been adapted with ramps and other elements to make them more accessible to people with disabilities. Some of these beaches include Playa de Levante, Playa de Poniente, and Playa de Mal Pas. In addition to these physical adaptations, there are also specialized beach assistance services available to help people with disabilities enjoy the beach. These services may include beach wheelchairs, amphibious chairs, and other equipment to make it easier for people with disabilities to access the sand and water.
More information: (+34) 966815467 or (+34) 610168830
Accesible beach points:
- Levante Beach, C/Murcia,
Surface area: 218m2
- Poniente Beach, Avd. Mont Benidorm,
Surface area: 138 m2
- Poniente Beach, Elche Park,
Surface area: 150 m2
- During the summer period, there are three professionals at each of the accessible points to assist people who need to make use of them.
- Between February 14 and May 31, there will be 2 professionals, while during the winter season (the remaining months), there will be only one.
Accesible beaches operation plan:
Summer: June 1 to September 30, all 3 points - Open 09.30 to 19.30 hrs
Winter: Rest of the year (except from January 15 to February 14), all 3 points - Open 10.30 to 14.30 hrs
Elements available at each station:
- 1 Access ramp.
- Walkway, which connects to the access ramp to the sea.
- Adapted changing room.
- 1 adapted WC.
- Shaded areas and windbreaker tarpaulins.
- 3 amphibious chairs for adults and 1 for children.
- 3 sets of amphibious crutches of different sizes.
- Lifeguards as support staff for bathing (depending on season).
- Buoys to delimit the bathing area.
- WIFI zone.
Rules of use:
- Whenever a bather uses the bathing chair at the accessible beach point, a person from the organization will accompany him or her.
- Persons with major disabilities must be accompanied by an adult, as lifeguards will not be able to purchase or administer drinks or food, apply suntan lotion, etc.
- The adapted services are for the exclusive use of disabled persons and the organization.
- Family members and companions may share the shaded area with the user, as long as they do not prevent the users of the point from having the necessary space and do not hinder the work of the support staff.
- The number of bathrooms and their availability will depend on the number of people waiting and the availability of the staff providing the service.
- Disabled people who, using the amphibious chair to enter and exit the water, wish to leave it and swim independently, will be required to sign a commitment assuming their responsibility and exempting the City Council and the company awarded the management of the service of any possible consequences.
Route to the Torre de les Caletes:
We propose a coastal route that is simple and suitable for all audiences, including people with reduced mobility (wheelchair accessible). The route is a paved path that will take us to visit the Torre de la Punta de les Caletes or Torre de la Punta del Cavall, a defensive construction from the 16th century. This route also includes the possibility of visiting two coves in the area: Cala de Almadrava and Cala del Ti Ximo.
The route begins at Punta del Pinet, where the urbanized area of Benidorm ends and the Serra Gelada Natural Park begins. We will start walking along a paved track in very good condition and without traffic, which makes the excursion possible even for people in wheelchairs. The difference in elevation is not much and the round trip distance is approximately 4 km from Punta del Pinet to Punta de les Caletes or Punta del Cavall, and back to Punta del Pinet (2 km there and 2 km back).
In summary, this is a simple excursion to enjoy a pleasant walk with views of the sea and the Island of Benidorm. It is suitable for people of all ages, including children and seniors.
- easy difficulty route
- Distance: 4 km approx
- Slope: +150m
- Estimated time: 3 hours (no rush)
- Start and end point: Parking IMED Levante
Archaeological site of Tossal de la Cala:
El Tossal de la Cala is a hill located between Poniente beach in Benidorm and Cala de Finestrat. At the top of the hill, there is a Roman archaeological site and the small Hermitage of the Mare de Déu del Mar. To make the site more accessible for people with reduced mobility, the City Council has made two electric chairs available for use on the route to the top of the hill, which has a steep slope.
The ruins at the site date from the 2nd and 1st centuries BC and are a military settlement similar to others in the area, such as those found in Altea, Calpe, Denia, and Moraira. Visits to the Roman castellum are free and open to the public, but you must check the schedule to ensure that you can access the site. The usual hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday, and from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The site also offers free guided tours on weekends, which can be booked through the email firstname.lastname@example.org. Guided tours are available on Fridays from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., and on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
There is not a lot of parking at Tossal, and the available parking is often full, so it is recommended to park in the nearest car park and walk up. Keep in mind that the climb is steep, so it is advisable to wear comfortable shoes.
Mediterranean and Italian cuisine, with products of km 0.
The restaurant is accessible for people with reduced mobility but not its bathrooms.
- Address and contact:
- Avda. del Mediterraneo 9 , 03503 Benidorm (Alicante)
- Telephone: (+34) 966578030 or (+34) 9674743685
Taj Mahal Restaurant:
This restaurant of Indian and Asian cuisine is open 24 hours a day.
The restaurant is accessible to people with reduced mobility, but not its bathrooms.
- Address and contact:
- Avda. Ametlla de Mar 1 03503 Benidorm (Alicante)
- Telephone number: (+34) 602353176
Llum de Mar Restaurant:
This restaurant accessible to people with reduced mobility is a luxury gastronomic proposal overlooking the sea. Signature cuisine with Mediterranean essence and fusion of sea and mountain flavors.
Restaurant accessible for people with reduced mobility but not its bathrooms.
- Address and contact:
- Plaza San Jaume, 1. 03500 - Benidorm (Alicante)
- Telephone number: (+34) 637416142
- Email: email@example.com